Monday, April 14, 2014

Engaged! (and my year catch up)

Amy and I 
Woo! With only 12 days to go. I guess it's time I update my blog.  So- since last May, I got a job at a hospital down in Arizona, loved the summer there swimming every day, moved in with my friend Amy and her family, then moved into my own place in August. I absolutely loved living in Arizona and met so many great people, and made SUCH great friends.  We had our group who could do anything together and still have a blast. I was able to come home for Christmas and see my new niece Kassidy.  She's a doll- and I got to spend time with the whole family which was great.
My little Jensley 
Who's who!? (I'm on the left in my mermaid outfit, Ryker on the right, a friend pointed out how similar we look haha)
Our first time Skyping :)
Sweet baby Kassidy and I
Rock the superhero snuggling baby Kassidy

The celebratory cake Amy and her family got me for my job
My Arizona girlfriends! 
Cousin Joel left on his mission and I was able to surprise him for his farewell
I was on babysitting duty and this little booger found the flour drawer pretty quickly
This is a typical Ryker pose

 I was also able to go to the open house for the Gilbert Temple.  It was gorgeous. My favorite part of the temple has always been the eternity mirrors.  I distinctly remember going through the open house for the Columbia River temple with some of my family and having the tour guide explain the significance. It was pretty special for me. So, remember that. :)

My good friend Javier came home from his mission in December.  Home happened to be in Australia. Before his mission we had hung out every day and became best friends, knowing he was going on a mission. We wrote throughout his mission about missionary experiences or scriptures, nothing mushy. Once he was back, we Skyped and talked on the phone, with plans to meet up in Provo in January.  I happened to have a week off of work and so it worked out perfectly.  I flew up and I loved getting to see him again.  He's so great.  We went to Awful Waffle and talked for a few hours, which has never been a problem for us. After the first weekend we both decided we wanted to keep seeing what happened, and since my schedule was a lot more flexible, I was able to fly up at least every other week.  If I had more than 3 days off in a row I was in Provo.  The subject of marriage was brought up one night while we were walking around Provo.  I had gotten to know Javier as a friend and have so much love and respect for him, and I knew he would be a great husband, and eventually a great dad for our children.  I had no doubts about what my answer would be.  He got a job working to get a ring, and we kept Skyping and talking every chance we got.

 On Friday, March 7, Javier brought up the ring.  He kept asking if it was important to me to have, if it was maybe okay if we got married without having an engagement ring.  Little did I know he had already bought it! The next night he was talking about taking me on a "creative" date.  So I was prepared for different.  First we went to dinner at the last place we had gone together before he left.  After that we went to the Provo temple, where we would always sit and talk before his mission.  He asked if I wanted to walk around the back where there was a pretty little garden place.  I agreed and we started walking back, and part way there I saw two big mirrors set up facing each other.  In my mind, this was his idea of a creative date because I didn't know he had the ring. haha looking back I don't know how I didn't pick up on that, but it made the surprise that much better! We then walked between the mirrors and talked for a while, and then he read a part of his Patriarchal blessing regarding his future wife (that's me!).  I was getting teary eyed because it was very sweet, but was very surprised when he knelt down. He pulled out the ring and before he said anything, I blurted out YES! haha he asked and I again answered yes, and we kissed and hugged and got to call our parents, who were not at all surprised because he had already had the talk with my dad.
The mirrors, after we were engaged (Whit and Stewart, along with their two friends set up the mirrors and hid and took pictures for Javier, I owe them a HUGE thank you!!!)

A picture Whit snuck of Javi proposing :)
Finding a place and time took a little planning.  His family is currently in Australia, so instead of flying my family all the way out there, or having to send his whole family here, we compromised, and decided on Hawaii. :) No one complained with that choice! So next Thursday we fly out to Honolulu and will be sealed in the Laie Hawaii Temple. I love this boy more than I can really express, and am so grateful for the example he is to me.  He definitely puts up with a lot (I cry like my mom), and is a genuinely great person who makes me be my best self, and it doesn't hurt that he is referred to by my guy friends in Arizona as "Javi the Hottie". We are beyond excited and I can't wait to start eternity with my best friend. :)

3 comments:

  1. Wait, NOBODY complained about going to Hawaii???? Guess I know where I stand. I saw no mention of you skipping out on our spring training trip to go back to Utah to see Javi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First if all, congratulations!!!! It is so fun to see some pics of what you've been up to. What a sweet, creative proposal - I am so happy and excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rissa, I am so excited for you! And so happy you shared your story! Congratulations! Love you!

    ReplyDelete