Saturday, August 6, 2011

Elder Ascanio

Last year Whit and I were playing catch outside her apartment when Derek (one of our friends) came out with his roommate (Javier, who was Whit's home teacher) to play with us. I knew him as the white kid with the Hispanic name at first. I never would have guessed then how close we'd become. He's opening his mission call tonight in Texas with his family, and I've been lucky enough to see him change and grow spiritually this last year and a half, especially in the last six months.  He is someone I can trust because he is honest. His parents raised a very respectable and sincere young man who has taught me more than he realizes. The people he will be serving while on the mission are incredibly lucky. 
Congrats Javi, you're my favorite Cuban! :) 
Me, Javi, Junior, and Pepe at the airport dropping Javi off
After our goodbye dinner at Tucanos
Whit, Javi and I at the Riverwoods
Javi and I
This is my fake sad face, I'm really super excited for him. :)





4 comments:

  1. Wahoo! I am glad I don't have any regrets, because I don't think I could do it again lol. The boy doesn't know what he's got himself into, but he's gonna LOVE it! Congrats to him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice tribute Marissa. Did you pull a "me" while you were blogging this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Javi! More postage stamps to buy... ;)

    ReplyDelete